If you’re still thinking about your 2021 New Year resolutions, adding some achievable dental health goals to the list is a great idea. We usually make resolutions to improve our health. This normally includes an emphasis on your physical or mental health, but not always our oral health.
Having good dental hygiene is a big part of our health, and studies show those who neglect their oral health tend to suffer from conditions like diabetes, heart disease, dementia, and respiratory infections.
We came up with a list of steps in order to sustain your oral health this new year!
Resolutions for a Healthy Smile
- No More Tobacco: Chewing tobacco, cigarettes, and cigars can cause mouth cancer and extreme damage to your teeth. Tobacco use increases your risk of gum disease and causes plaque buildup, yellow teeth, and halitosis.
- Hydrate: Drinking water is not only good for your overall health, but it’s important for rinsing your teeth between brushes. Lack of water can lead to further tooth decay and a decrease in saliva! The amount of water required varies from person to person, but to get a general sense of how much water you should be consuming, divide your body weight by half and drink that many ounces of water daily.
- Floss Daily. Flossing can be an annoying and tedious task, but once you make a habit of this small step, you’re set! This step can remove excess food particles and prevent plaque build-up. Choosing to floss can extend the health of your teeth and serves as a precautionary measure for future illness.
- Visit Your Dentist. It’s common to fall out of the routine of seeing your dentist every six months, but it’s important! During these visits, you get your regular cleaning, an exam, and possibly x-rays. These visits will help prevent you from any future cavities and decay and catching these issues early on can save you from expensive and long dental services.
- Brighten Up Your Smile. Brightening up your smile might not affect your oral health, but it can help you feel more confident when you smile. If you struggle with discoloration and over the counter whitening treatments aren’t cutting it, it’s time to get a professional whitening treatment.
Your Dentist is Here For You
It’s not too late to add to your resolution list, and we purposed some good ones for you! A perfect place to start if you want to improve your dental health is by visiting the dentist for a professional cleaning and exam. Mountain Shadows Dental is currently accepting new patients and will help you reach your oral health goals. Contact us today to make an appointment for the new year.